Product quality is a priority for engineers when entrusting the production of a component to a custom machine shop. Often, exacting specifications are stipulated in the design brief; if these aren’t achieved, the part may be unable to function properly. This can affect the operation or efficiency of an entire machine, so selecting an appropriately qualified machinist is essential.
The ISO 9001 certification is a recognised international quality standard for machine shops, alongside businesses in many other sectors. By partnering with a certified machinist, you can be confident that demanding quality standards will be met.
What Is An ISO 9001 Certification?
The ISO 9001 standards apply to many industries involved in design, manufacture, and testing, and are intended to demonstrate quality and reliability in their field. Part of the internationally recognised ISO 9000 series, ISO 9001 identifies the steps required to implement and maintain a quality control management system. Globally, over one million organisations have achieved ISO 9001 accreditation, making it one of the most recognised and respected tools for quality management.
To achieve ISO 9001 certification, a business must:
- Train key staff on its requirements and ensure they understand the ISO 9001 standards.
- Implement a quality control system that focuses on evidence-based decision making, ongoing improvement, a process approach, and a focus on customers.
- Have an audit, carried out by a third party, that confirms the quality control system meets the ISO 9001 standards.
- Implement a quality system that delivers process controls, for example handbooks or intranet portals.
By achieving the ISO 9001 certification, a custom machine shop can demonstrate its commitment to following the quality processes stipulated in the standards.
The Benefits Of An ISO 9001 Certification
For machinists, there are significant benefits of achieving the ISO 9001 certification:
- ISO 9001 is recognised internationally as a quality mark, which will create opportunities to attract new customers.
- If the certification is awarded, the machine shop’s manufacturing process will be improved, meaning lower overheads, better efficiency, and streamlined production.
- ISO 9001 enhances a business’s customer care, leading to long-term loyalty and positive referrals to generate new trade.
- ISO 9001 certification is not a ‘once in a lifetime’ event but drives ongoing business improvements.
Redline CNC: Committed To The Highest Quality Standards
At Redline CNC, we’re proud to have been awarded the BSI ISO 9001-2015 certification, as evidence of our rigorous quality control standards. We welcome auditing as a chance to enhance our practice and can offer comprehensive reports and material certifications, if required. To find out more about our services, please call us on 01293 699838.